Casey has been working towards making some brain-tanned pants out of deer (or elk) hides. So - my backyard has looked like an Indian reservation for several summers in a row now. His hard work has finally paid off! He would contact meat packing establishments during deer hunting season asking if he could have their deer hides. He'd round them up & soak them in water so they were sloppy wet and then scrape the hair off of them. Flies love this part of the process. My nostrils did not. After they were hair free he would stuff them in plastic sacks & freeze them. When he had a whole day to spare - he would soak the hide in eggs. A fabulous thing because back in the day they would soak the hides in deer brains, cow brains, Indian brains (j/k....but why not!). He would then stretch them out until they were dry & soft as could be. Once the holes were all stitched up he spent a day smoking them. I believe this part is what water-proofs the hides a bit. He then cut out the pattern for his pants & his dad was kind enough to make a trade. Brad sewed the pants together and Casey has to brain-tan 2 hides for him. Nice trade! He just needs suspenders now.
Here is our little family at the Fort Bridger Rendezvous. Yes...every party has a pooper, that's why I get invited. I have other projects that I want to spend my time & money on at this time. Maybe one day I'll make something to wear though. Mona made Caleb's shirt & Taylor (Blue) & Rylee's (Red) dresses. How nice! Taylor was walking around and a lady couldn't stand her cuteness & just had to take a picture (Rylee was napping)
Casey's cute parents taking a break. It was much hotter than I think any of us expected.
Caleb, Taylor & Rylee were mesmerized by this couple. He was playing the guitar & she was playing a neat instrument with spoons. It was kind of like a mini harp laying down. It was beautiful music!
Since I am not into this mountain man thing like everyone else seems to be. I had to find something to be passionate about. Breechcloths. That is what I decided on. So - when I see one I sneak a picture. Sometimes it's an easy task, sometimes it requires a bit of chasing.
The boys!
Kaetlyn & Colby. Father, daughter love can be strange at times. :)
I am glad that Caleb & Shayden had each other to play with & torment. Mona was nice & bought each of them a sweet sword.
Caleb LOVED the bagpipes & drums. They played a song & when they finished he pointed his sword at them and yelled "HEY! Do that again!"


4 comments:
YAY for rendezvous. HAHHAHA What an accomplishment for Casey to get his pants done. GREAT JOB. He really has a talent in the tanning department. Had a great time. And PS...we wouldn't have had nearly as good a time if you hadn't been there. Great breechcloth pics. LOL Thank you for all that you are.
I love you, you amuse me. In all of that you found your joy in the breechcloth and snuck pictures too. Like I said, I love you!!!
oh man. you crack me up. LOVE the breechcloth photos! If that lady loved Taylor's cuteness imagine if Rylee had been awake and she had seen both of them. They look so cute and so does Caleb. Congrats to Casey on getting his pants done. They look fablous.
Now that I know breechcloths are involved, I'm coming to the next one. Looks like you guys had fun!
Post a Comment