Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Free Zoo Day!

November 2014.  Blog post titled December Randoms.  I quote, "The day before Thanksgiving I took my kids & Blake to the zoo.  It was free day.....we will NEVER do that again.  That place was a zoo!"  My reasoning for going in November 2014 was, "It's the day before Thanksgiving.  No one will be there.  They will all be either traveling, cleaning or cooking."  Well...come to find out Hogle Zoo has a free day 4 times a year.  The last Wednesday of November, December, January & February.  Well - we went as a family on the last Wednesday in February.  My brain said, "It's the middle of the school week.  It won't be that crazy.  It isn't right by a holiday, so people won't have work off like they did last time.  It's February for crying out loud.  It's still only 40-ish degrees outside." 
 
All of the kids really enjoyed themselves.  Luke really liked the seals.  He would make a cute little "arr arr" noise every time one would swim by.  Luke & Lex were so cute looking at the cute little twin cat things.  And we got pretty up close & personal with the tiger.  What a beautiful creature!!
I love when I get the opportunity to see a peacock with it's feathers all spread out!  What a fascinating animal.  Bald eagles are pretty awesome as well.  Do you see all of the people??!!  Seriously?!?!  What are they all doing at the zoo!?  The small animal building was insanity.  I got mad at some guy for putting his kids in front of mine and we only did 2 out of the 3 sections in the building.  Casey went to walk into the desert animal part I said, "I can't do it.  It is shoulder to shoulder people in there.  Besides - we live in the desert.  We're good."
The polar bear was so active!  He was probably loving the warm-ish weather.  Luke & Lexi loved being up close & personal with him right up next to the window.  The bear came right up to them & nuzzled right in front of Lexi's face.  She was in love!  Luke on the other hand said a quick hail-Mary and jumped right off of the ledge.  If I hadn't been paying attention, he would've hit the concrete!  I'm glad that I caught him & that he was so smart!  No one wants  to get eaten by a bear!
There was so many people.  So many strollers. So many newborn babies too!!  BUT - the elephant was playing around and we got to see 2 wolves (which we hardly ever see!)  The line for the train & the carousal were crazy long, so we skipped that fun this time.  I hope my kids are making some memories.  And I hope that I don't forget the memories that I made with them.  I don't anticipate that I will go to free day at the zoo ever again - but who knows.  Maybe I'm a liar.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

The picture of all the people gives me anxiety. There are so many freaking people in the valley. Have you been at Costco when they are handing out pea sized samples. Get out of the way or get ran over. I hope you had some fun. Next time you are thinking about going on free day give me call.

Kim said...

Oh my gosh. All those people!!! I couldn't stand it. The kids are adorbs though and it looks like they got up close to the animals so that's good. I'm glad Luke baled when the polar bear came. That shows he is a smart boy with good survival instincts. :) I also love to see a peacock with it's feathers spread. I rarely get to. I love those colors! When you consider free zoo day again call me after you call Sandra.