Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day

What a weird holiday. Is it just supposed to make people look forward to SOMETHING since it's to frickin' cold to do anything else?? Restaurants are always soooooo crowded...flowers are soooooo overrated & just die anyway...men usually have a hard time picking out jewelry...so I told Casey I would just like a steak/shrimp dinner at home & a cake from Cold Stone. What a guy...I got EXACTLY what I asked for! Casey made steak, popcorn shrimp, corn & baked potatoes for dinner & then we snarfed down a cold stone cake with red velvet cake & cake batter ice cream. DELISH!!! I was actually slightly disappointed in the ice cream cake. I expected nothing but perfection from the Cold Stone Creamery & it isn't perfected quite yet. Good...but I need to sample other flavors before I put in my full verdict.

I got Casey a T-Shirt & a big Reese's heart & Caleb got a tiger flashlight that roars. He loves it. Caleb got me a cute stuffed teddy bear & some cheesecake Hershey kisses & got Casey some regular mini Reese's. Anyone notice that Casey might like Reese's??? Caleb also got a bag of mini teddy Grahams from my mom & dad & a toy semi from Casey's mom & dad.

I really have nothing new going on in my life...so I thought I'd show you something that I do to make cooking not seem like such a hassle sometimes. I HATE chopping up onions. They are good to add to ground beef, soups, some casseroles & I don't add them because I hate cutting them. One of my sister's neighbors actually gave me this idea....but I will buy a bag of onions (much cheaper than buying them individually) and chop them all up in my food processor & separate it into a bunch of different Ziploc baggies & freeze them. Your fridge/freezer does smell like onions for a few days - but it goes away and I haven't noticed the onion taste getting into any other food. Hope this helps someone!

3 comments:

Keri said...

I dread chopping onions. Great tip!

Anonymous said...

Let me know how your onions are when you use them after freezing. I would love to do this. I always keep a big can of dried onions that I get from Honeyville Grain, but dried onions don't work in all recipes.

Kellie said...

That's so sweet that Casey made you your requested dinner. That's perfect in my opinion. Poor Shaun got to plow for 16 hours on V-Day! :) I'm not one for onions so definitely let me know how these work after freezing them.