I expressed some concern to our family Dr about Caleb not talking more & how he gets frustrated really easily & he didn't seem to think I needed to worry. He was concerned that he was so skinny, so he recommended that I buy some Carnation instant breakfast mix & give him that with his milk a couple of times per day & bring him back in a month.
During this 'month' of Caleb needing to gain more weight I've been thinking that something just isn't right with they tyke...which I have also thought about a bit in the past, but told myself to stop worrying. But - for those of you that know my gene pol - it is impossible to stop worrying. This worrying certainly explains the zit factory that has opened up on my freaking face. With the assistance of my older sister, we discussed some signs of Autism that she found off of the grand Internet. There were several red flags that came up. AND come to find out, my parents also had researched it, but didn't mention it to me because they didn't want me to get all concerned. So, there was a smidge of comfort knowing that others were also wondering about his development.

Casey & I took Caleb to a pediatrician who observed him for a bit & said that I definitely had reasons to be concerned, but he didn't think Caleb was autistic. The Dr said that children with autism are much more distant & not as observant as Caleb was being. (he also weighed almost 21 pounds at this appt, so the carnation is working!) When checking Caleb's ears, the Dr noticed that his ear drums weren't vibrating. I guess if they aren't vibrating he can still hear, but it's like he's hearing under water. I am taking Caleb to an ear/nose/throat specialist this week to have his hearing checked. I'm hoping whatever it is. . . if it is anything, that it is fixable.
The pediatrician also recommended that I have Caleb observed by an Early Intervention Program. I called them today & they asked me a million questions that made me feel like a terrible mother. They asked if when I kicked a ball towards him if he would imitate me & kick it back.......well, I've never kicked a ball towards him. I don't even own a ball that is kickable. They also asked if when he was given a crayon & paper if he scribbled back & forth........well, I've never given him a crayon & paper. So - is something really wrong with Caleb, or is his behavior a reflection of bad parenting? I'm totally crying right now. My brain NEVER stops thinking about all of the 'what ifs'. I just want a healthy, happy boy. Hopefully things will turn around soon.
7 comments:
No crying. You are an excellent mom. I bet those questions sucked to answer, but just because you haven't kicked a ball to Caleb doesnt mean anything. You know better than anyone what Caleb tolerates and what he doesn't and what he likes and what he doesn't like. He has such an independent on the go personality that I really can't see him being content with just sitting down to color a book and I'm sure that's how you've felt about it too, so that's why it hasn't crossed your mind to have him do something like that. Don't second guess yourself. You're a good mommy
Brit, those questions are just general questions. Bre my now 6yr old had ear infection after ear infection, the dr. kept telling me she was fine, and did not need a specialist, my neighbor who worked for up to 3 told me that the fact that she was not talking more that 2 to 3 words was not normal for a 18 month old. I called up to three, they asked me the same type of questions, they came and evaluated her and said to take her to a specialist, she had the same conclusion to her hearing test....made me feel so crappy for her having to hear like that for soooo long. THey decided to do tubes, and when they got in there, she had blood clots and a hole in her ear drum that they had to patch....oh my heck after about 3 days there was a noticeable diff. up to 3 is a GREAT program, they helped her with speech, helped with the frustration of not being able to communicate and helped with the motor skills that she wwa behind on from not being able to hear properly. she now takes speech at the local elem. school because of some announciation issues that they have because of the way they heard for so long, but is doing great!!! You are not a bad mom, you are a GREAT mom who is going to handle this and do everything you can to help caleb. if you ever need anyone to talk to who has been there don't hesitate to call me
Ya, what Ashley said!!!!
Don't be sad, it will all work out. You're awesome Mom! You're getting to this early, that is a sign of a great mom! My older 2 kids didn't really start talking til there were 2 1/2. They wanted to start speach therapy. But I felt like they were trying enough. They just do some things at their own pace. I'll keep you all in my prayers & let me know how it goes. lots' of hugs!
It is so hard to trust doctors you think they are doing the best for your child but you always wonder. I have learned you need to be your own advocate get a 2nd opinion or a 3rd. Everything will be fine, if you need anything let me know. I will be happy to do any medical research for ya!
Your a great mom!
Hey sorry to give the advocate advice again, I think I have before! After what I have been through with the medical world I'm not so trusting! Thinking of you!
You are anything BUT a terrible mom! Don't be so hard on yourself. I totally 2nd the Up to 3 Program if that's what you're referring to. It has made a lot of noticeable difference with Kambri and she continues improving all the time. It is definitely hard to realize that something is 'off', but you're being a wonderful mom by checking into them further and finding out the cause. It may be nothing, but at least you're checking into it. I'd love to talk with you more about it!! And I got asked the same ?'s and had to answer that I honestly didn't know. There are still things they ask along the way that I realize I'm not doing with her. Hang in there!! *hugs*
Post a Comment