Sunday, July 5, 2009

I hate Holidays.

Thanksgiving 2008 = Emergency Room
4th of July 2009 = Emergency Room

On Friday morning Casey went to help his brother with a car pick up from his Brother's ex-wife. Later that day we find out that she had tested positive for Swine Flu that day. She didn't know at the time...but holy crap. I guess they did go into the house & got a bottle of water from her, but I didn't freak out...no biggie to me I guess. UNTIL....
The Brigham City fireworks startled Caleb who was sleeping so I got him out of his crib around 10 and took him outside to watch them...he was sooooooooo warm. The thermometer I have doesn't work too great, but when a baby has a fever, mom just knows.
After the fireworks I put him back into bed & he wouldn't go back to sleep so he got to stay up until midnight with Casey & I while we watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (I cried!!)
Caleb was acting fine while we were watching the movie & wasn't as warm, but got warm again by the time the movie was over. Casey went into panic mode thinking "What if I brought home the virus & he got it?!?!" So - I called the Dr on call and he said that he should be checked out whether it be that night or in the morning - so an Emergency Room visit regardless. Hooray.
The nurse at the hospital was really nice, but not very reassuring about anything. We told her the situation & she said "We don't even test for that anymore. We don't test for it & contact the health department until the patient is hospitalized" Okay lady...let's wait until my 18 month old is hospitalized and then check...idiot. Then she said "We can test him for influenza A and if he had swine flu it would test positive under that category as well" So - she shoves a huge q-tip up his little nose and swabs away. Poor guy. He was bawling his face off...and to boot she said he didn't have a fever!!!!
Long story short...the Dr visited and said "It's virtually impossible for him to have the swine flu because it needs 4-5 days before symptoms start to surface." So - the verdict is a bilateral ear infection (both ears) and a viral respiratory infection. It was nice that they could just hand me a bottle of amoxicllin & I didn't have to wait for a pharmacy on Monday - but I can't WAIT to see this bill.
Cast your vote.....did we jump the gun on taking him the the ER? Or....is this what any parent would've done? I need to know where I sit on the sanity fence :)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Without knowing the family history of ER visits over holidays, I would say that it was a little premature to take him to the ER. However, if I had that family history of ER visits I would have probably been in the ER. You should do another post when you get the bill.

Kellie said...

I probably wouldn't have taken him in to the ER yet. My mom is a nurse though so that helps us out a lot. But there's nothing wrong with getting things checked out, just sucks when the bill comes!! Ugh...hope he's doing better.

Ashley said...

Casey came in contact with the Swine Flu. Caleb got sick. You called the hospital and they said bring him in. So duh. Why wouldn't you have taken him?! Sorry pooky.

The Christians said...

I would not have given it a second thought, I would have immediately taken him in, we spend more time in the dr's or er with my kids than anything, my philosophy is it is better to be safe than sorry

Josh and Kelly said...

Super scary! I would have freaked out :). Glad everything somewhat worked out. Hope the little guy gets feeling better.

Sandra said...

Ashley is right on, what she said.
And, holy freaking crap, how scary for you.